This post contains affiliate links.
Well folks, it is officially 2018. Damn. How did that happen? Why does time continue to speed up the older I get? Also, how am I just now realizing that I will turn THIRTY-FIVE this year? FML. But this actually has nothing to do with today’s post. I haven’t done an obsession post lately, and since we have been on a podcast hiatus, I have a bunch of cool new shit in my life that I haven’t been able to talk about. But that ends today! Here are a few of the things that have been tickling my fancy lately.
1. The Greatest Showman: I have already seen this movie twice, and I will be going again. It is my favorite movie musical since Moulin Rouge and I can’t get enough of it. In fact, it’s getting its own post soon I love it so damn much. If you walk out of this movie without a smile on your face, you have no rhythm in your soul. Not only is the movie great, I’ve been listening to the soundtrack non-stop. I act out the entire show every day in my car, and while I may not be quite as talented as Zendaya, I think I could give her a run for her money. I keep having these fantasies of randomly pulling up next to Zac Efron at a stoplight and blasting “Rewrite the Stars” and dueting with him. Totes gonna happen.
2. Marvelous Mrs. Maisel: Okay, so I was reluctant to try this show, available on Amazon Prime, because it beat out Oasis in the Amazon Prime Pilot Battle. And any show starring Richard Madden is a show that deserves to be picked up (in my opinion). But I decided to give it a shot, and I am so glad I did. From the creator of Gilmore Girls and starring Rachel Brosnahan, Marvelous Mrs. Maisel follows Midge, a 1950’s housewife, on her journey from jilted wife to stand up comedian. There is nothing more to say about this show other than it is feminist and fucking funny. Win win.
3. NYX Lip Gloss: I cannot stop buying these things! For one, they’re so cheap, and for two, they’re so pretty! I have like five of them, and they are all almost the exact same shade. But I love them so much I can’t stop buying them! They are super pretty and shiny and fun. Just don’t wear them if you’re planning on making out with anyone.
4. Movie Pass: I wrote a whole post about my love of Movie Pass so I won’t spend too much time on it here. Suffice to say, it is the best $10 investment I have made in a long ass time.
5. Chewie and the Porgs: Ch-ch-ch-chewie and the Porgs! Please sing that a la Benny and the Jets. I bought this book for Squirt for Christmas and it is awesome, and I love it. It also was the inspiration for our super awesome sign we made for the Rose Bowl that no one got to see because Gameday sucks. But that’s another story.
6. Something Rotten: Matt got me tickets to this show for Christmas and I loved it even more the second time. I originally saw it in New York with the OBC, who were great, but I was so excited to see Adam Pascal play Shakespeare in this production. It was so much fun and I just want to see it again and again.
7. Casting Call: Okay, how egotistical am I? I’m putting my own book on this list. Go me. But there’s a reason! I am spending some time adding to and expanding my first self-published book, and hoping to release the second edition within the next couple of months. Now that I have finished a second manuscript, and am halfway through my third, I realize that I did not give this book its due, and frankly, I can do better. And since I’ve sold like ten copies of the original, and I’m pretty sure all of those were bought by people I know, I feel like I can put a version out there that is new and improved! So stay tuned for that!
8. The Marvel Cinematic Universe: This should come as no surprise, as I have been chronicling my journey through the MCU checklist. I am getting ready to start Agents of SHIELD tonight!
9. Outlander: Okay. I’m low-key annoyed by this book. I started it like three weeks ago, and it is literally the only thing I have been reading. For three weeks. I can’t stop reading it because it’s awesome, but it is so damn long. I still have 200 pages to go! I just want to be done so I can read something else!
10. Nerdy Accessories: I recently wrote a post about repping your fandoms in your everday outfits, and since then, I have been wearing my geeky chic accessories pretty much every day. I not only love how cute they all are, but it’s super fun when some random person recognizes one of the symbols and strikes up a conversation about our common fandom. (Okay, being a total introvert who sucks at meeting new people, this actually kind of freaks me out, but it’s way better to talk to a stranger that you have something in common with than just some rando on the street.)
Alright folks, there you have it. While I fully and wholeheartedly recommend checking out all these things for yourself, you have been warned: obsession may follow!