This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ScotchBriteSponges #CollectiveBias
All right friends, it is about to get real up in here. I don’t know about you, but I hate cleaning (sorry Mom). I mean, I go beyond the general dislike of cleaning into actual hate, and I will find pretty much any excuse to avoid it. But the catch-22 for me is that, because I grew up with a neat freak mother, I also hate living in a dirty home. So I am going to be trying a new experiment over the next couple of weeks to help me find a way to balance my desire for cleanliness with my lack of motivation to clean. Unfortunately, hiring a live-in maid is not going to be an option for us anytime soon, so it’s time to buckle down and do something practical. That something is going to involve me cleaning one specific area of the house–a task that should take about fifteen minutes–per day. I mean, I probably spend an hour a day on Instagram, so I think I can spare fifteen minutes to provide a cleaner and healthier living environment for my family and me.
There are a couple of things I’m going to do to hold myself accountable to my new plan. One, is that in this post I am going to share some before pictures with you. My mother is going to be crying with shame as she reads this, but never fear! Where there is a before picture, there is an after picture, so you can see what my house looks like after fifteen minutes of daily cleaning using Scotch-Brite® Brand cleaning products. Two, I am going to be posting my daily cleaning tasks on my Instagram Stories all this week, so if you want to keep an eye on me and make sure I’m following through, you can!
I’m going to outline my cleaning plan for you and show some highlights from how the cleaning plan worked out for me in this past week. At the end of this post you’ll find a link to a printable of my cleaning schedule, in case you would like to try it out for yourself. And as always, I am only highlighting products that I actually use in my own home and would recommend to a friend. Let’s do this! First, here are the tools you will see me using throughout the week of cleaning: Scotch-Brite® Heavy Duty Scrub Sponges, Scotch-Brite® Non-Scratch Scrub Sponges, and the Scotch-Brite® Heavy Duty Soap Dispensing Dishwand.
And here’s the breakdown of what I clean on each day of the week:
- Clean the stove: Time to send in the Scotch-Brite Heavy Duty Scrub Sponge. The green side is perfect for scrubbing tough stains and grease off the surface, while the yellow allows you to wipe away crumbs and small spills.
- Clean the sink and wipe down counters: Since we have butcher block counters and a porcelain sink, I like to use the yellow side of the Scotch-Brite Heavy Duty Scrub Sponge so that the counters don’t get scratched.
- Scrub the microwave: I don’t even want to tell you how long it has been since we cleaned our microwave. I definitely need the “Heavy Duty” part of the Heavy Duty Scrub Sponge to tackle some of the greasy messes in there.
Tuesday: Dusting and Dishes
- Dust: Dust all rooms of the house including the living room, dining room, and bedrooms.
- Dishes: I really, really hate doing dishes. I usually leave them for my husband, but (sorry Babe!) he just doesn’t clean them as well as I would like (but A+ for effort!). I love using the Scotch-Brite Heavy Duty Soap Dispensing Dishwand for all our pots and pans because it tackles yucky stuck on food, but prevents me from getting my hands dirty.
Wednesday: Bathroom #1
- Scrub the shower and tub: For our bathrooms, I like to use the Scotch-Brite Non-Scratch Scrub Sponge. I like to keep kitchen and bathroom sponges separate and I like that I can use a Blue sponge in the Bathroom, alliteration y’all! It means I don’t ever get them confused, which is important because you don’t want to be cleaning your stove with the same sponge you used on your toilet. Ew.
- Clean the mirror and sink: Our sink gets pretty gross in our bathroom since that’s where the hubs does his shaving so I use both sides of the Non-Scratch Scrub Sponge to make sure it is super clean.
- Clean the toilet: AKA everyone’s least favorite part of cleaning. Look, the only thing I can say to make this task at least a little better is that with a good sponge like Scotch-Brite Brand’s, you only have to wipe once and the mess is gone. No repeated scrubbing necessary.
Thursday: Floors and Dishes
- Floors: Mop or vacuum all floors, including the kitchen, living and dining rooms, bedrooms, and bathrooms.
- Dishes: See instructions for Tuesday. If your house is anything like mine, we constantly have to dishes to wash!
Friday: Bathroom #2
- Repeat all instructions from Wednesday in your second bathroom (assuming you have one; if not, lucky you!).
- Declutter all rooms and surfaces: Pick up and put away all stray items in kitchen, living and dining rooms, bedrooms, and bathrooms. This way you are ready for your cleaning cycle to start on Monday.
- Laundry: Wash, dry, fold, and put away. I know, I know, it’s asking a lot, but doesn’t it always feel so much better when it’s done? And since it’s the weekend, you have two days to get it done!
Really, truly, honestly, I think I can keep up with this plan. Even though it seems like a lot to do each day, if I keep up with the schedule, it really is only about fifteen minutes of cleaning each day. If I knock that out in the first fifteen minutes of Squirt’s nap each day, I still have two hours to
relax and watch Real Housewives work on the blog! I would love it if you would try this cleaning experiment with me! If you are interested in trying out the Scotch-Brite Brand products yourself, you can find them at your local Target (and really, don’t we all love an excuse to go to Target?). Plus, if you use this Target Cartwheel offer, you can save 10% on Scotch-Brite Brand sponges from 8/28-9/3.
Don’t worry! I didn’t forget about your free printable! If you would like to download the handy (and colorful!) checklist I will be using to keep myself on track, click this link right here! Hopefully this plan for fifteen minutes of daily cleaning will help keep us all on track. If you need some more Scotch-Brite cleaning inspiration, check them out here!
What are your best cleaning tips? How do you manage your cleaning your routine? Make sure you leave me your best tips!