Hello lovelies! I’m back today with another look at one of my favorite pieces of furniture in our home. I gave this piece its makeover about two years ago. In our old house, it lived in the dining room and housed a lot of my craft supplies. It has a new function in our new house that you will see when I do our living room reveal. Despite its new home, it remains one of my all time favorite projects so here is how this piece came to be!
I got this awesome piece from my mom when she down-sized (thanks Mom!) and though I loved the function and the extra storage, I did not love the color and the finish. (When the hubs brought it home he claimed to like it the way it was because it’s “rustic”…to which I said, “Show me one other piece in this house that is rustic!”) So I decided it was time to paint some furniture! I did a lot of research before I started this project because I didn’t want to mess up this really nice piece of furniture. The same two tips were repeated over and over: prep well and paint thin coats! So I did! Here are the steps and a the reveal of our new buffet!
First, the before shot:
The first prep step is sanding. Since this piece was already light colored and didn’t have a super shiny finish, I used fine sandpaper. Once finished sanding, I gave the whole piece a good wipe down. I just used a cloth rag and Windex.
Then I gave the whole piece a thin coat of primer. I used a brush for this step in the process so I could get into the little nooks and crannies. This is the piece after priming:
I let the primer dry overnight and started with the fun stuff, the painting, the next day. For the paint, I used an interior latex paint and a small foam roller. I had to go back with a small brush for some of the tight areas, but in general, the small roller was the perfect size.
Remembering the tips I read, I did multiple thin coats. Really thin. Here it is after one coat:
Super light, but it went on easy and smooth and nice and thin! I let the paint dry for a couple of hours before I started on coat number two. Surprisingly, I only needed two coats and the piece was done! Here is our new buffet!
I’m so in love with the new color and I cannot wait to paint some more furniture! In general, this was an easy piece to paint because I went with a darker color, and the texture lent itself to an easy sanding/priming prep. Some of the other pieces I am planning on painting are going to be much harder, but at least now I have some practice and I know I can do it! One last look at the before and after!
(P.S. It has been super overcast here in “sunny” LA the past couple of days, so I apologize for the shoddy natural light in these pics!)