This post contains affiliate links.
I have a very special DIY to share with you today. Squirt’s first birthday was last week and we of course celebrated with a trip to the Happiest Place on Earth. I decided to make him a shirt for the occasion and I am so happy with how it turned out. I also made one for a friend whose birthday is a couple of days before Squirt’s (which is why you will see two different names). Here are the steps to make this adorable and easy birthday shirt!
1. Gather your supplies: a red shirt, a Mickey stencil (I made this one using clip art and Microsoft Publisher), black and yellow fabric paint, brushes, iron on letters, and a Sharpie.
2. Place your stencil and outline it using the Sharpie (fine point works best).
3. Using a thin brush, outline the Mickey head and the one with the black fabric paint. Make sure you occasionally wipe off the excess paint from your brush (that’s what those random marks are).
4. Fill in the rest of the outline using the larger brush. It is going to take a couple of coats. With fabric painting, I typically do one coat going horizontally and one going vertically. That usually gives you full coverage.
5. I was tempted to leave the shirt as is after that, but I’m glad I went ahead with the yellow as it makes the one pop. It took multiple coats to fill in the yellow fully, but it really adds a lot to the design.
6. Once the paint is totally dry (let it sit overnight), lay out your iron on letters and attach according to the package instructions.
Now you have a sweet personalized shirt for your favorite one year old to rock on their birthday! Stay tuned over the next month for lots of DIYs for Squirt’s Mickey themed first birthday party!
Here is your list of supplies with links…